Friday, June 19, 2009

Books, Food, and Exercise!

So, it's been a few days, thought I'd write a post! Here's a few things I've been doing, thinking about, or discussing lately...

I'm nearly done with the Harry Potter series! I'm in the middle of book 5 to be exact, and I must say I LOVE it! My bf and sister had been telling me for at least the last year that I needed to read them all (Note: I was a poop and read book 7 right when it came out because I could not stand to be the last person on Earth to know how it all ended!) But, I hadn't prescribed to the whole phenomenon at that point. Well, right now, I'm pretty absorbed in Wizard-land and it's definitely something I look forward to daily!


I've also been doing a TON of talking to people about "diet" and exercise. I use the word diet carefully because I don't like it. I HATE dieting! But, alas, with my sluggish thyroid, glucose and insulin sensitivity and *ah hem* squishy belly, I just know I need to do something different or I'm never going to be in a swim suit again! So...while I know that sticking to a complete low carb diet like I've done before (Eat Right 4 Your Type, Atkins, etc.) is impossible long term, I still think that the lower GI- type diets work best and are best for me for my health issues. So, I decided that my focus should simply be on fresh, unprocessed foods! More vegetables, fruit, whole grains and good fats. I'm going to try and stay away from all things fried, processed, and definitely my biggest challenge will be SODA! I've been working on it a little this past week, dabbling in it you might say, and I lost a whole lb. even though I only went to the gym twice! But this next week, I'm going to really try and go for it a little more strictly. I do think I'll allow myself at least one "free" day a week at first, so I don't feel completely bored with life, but I'm gonna be careful too!

I have also decided I've been working out a bit the wrong way. I already knew this, I have piles of magazines and books in which I've read about it all before, but somehow I keep forgetting things I already know! I've been doing way too much cardio and not nearly enough weight training! Don't get me wrong, cardio is great for you, it improves your endurance and is good for your heart and definitely burns calories....but....if you don't lift weights to help build and tone your muscles too, you're not really going to change the shape of your body! And, even if you are able to, it will take so much longer just to burn off all the fat! Building muscle will also increase your overall calorie burn, and that will benefit any activity you do, plus it will help to build definition and help keep your skin taught as you lose the fat! So my new regimen will be at least 3 days of 20 min. cardio with 20 min weights, and since I am still training to run a half marathon with my dad in August, I'll be trying to increase my run distance on at least 2-3 separate days as well. Good luck to me!

I've just started reading another book that deals with metabolism and hormone balance and proper (read: healthy) diet from Jillian Michaels', of The Biggest Loser- called Master Your Metabolism. So, I'll let you know more as I find it out!
Anyway, I hope that was entertaining enough for tonight! I'll try to post some new financial tips soon, but I am so tired *yawn* that I simply must go to bed! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment