Thursday, December 3, 2009

Surgery and my Favorites as of Late

Hello!  Sorry I've been MIA from my blog for a while!  The last month has been busy with work, my health, family and all my other little hobbies. :)

I took the whole week before Thanksgiving off of work because I had yet another ear surgery.  That makes number 37 or so.  No really...I don't actually know how many I've had, but I estimate it's in the 30's if not close.  This time it was the first of a two-part reconstruction of the left middle-ear.  I was very hopeful that this time it was going to be so much better because I'm seeing a very experienced and highly recommended "just ears" specialist at the University of Utah Hospital.  (Wow, he must be really good if I'm willing to step on the U campus to see him...jk :))  So, the surgery was basically to try and clean out any infection in my ear, place a silicone spacer behind my eardrum to help straighten it out and make sure I didn't have any more tumors growing.

My sweet step-mom Susan took the day off work on Monday the 23rd to drive me up to the LDS Hospital in SLC.  Oh, and let me tell you, even though I've had 30 surgeries already, you better believe my insurance company talked to every doctor and made me plead and justify my case extensively before they would approve me to see a U of U doctor, and then, they only approved the surgery at an IHC location.  Anyway...I digress...we arrived about 8 am and I was soon ushered back to prep for surgery.  Usually, at Utah Valley Regional Medical they poke my finger to make me bleed, then numb me with novacaine shots then give me the IV, so at least 3-4 shots to start!  But at LDS they just stick the IV right in and work from that one stab...kinda nice I'm thinkin.  Then, we watched Drew Carey on the Price is Right for a one was winning anyway so I was getting bored, ha ha.  A very cute male nurse came and got me and took me back for surgery about 9:30.  I talked to a few other nurses, then the anesthesiologist and before I even had time to enjoy it very long, the happy drugs drifted me off to the black zone. (where you don't dream or remember anything)

The next thing I knew I was awake in the nurses recovery station and was feeling terrible!  My head was throbbing with pain and I was so hot I was literally dripping sweat, and there was a very weird pulsation feeling in my legs!  At this point I couldn't talk or move or anything to tell anyone what was going on, but every time those big hospital doors opened from the hallway, this glorious burst of fresh cold air would wash over me and give me a slight relief for a second.  I wanted so badly to tell them to leave the doors open!  Finally someone noticed I was awake and I think I managed to say I was "SO HOT" but all she did was say "Oh okay" then wheel me into the room where my mom was waiting.  Again I desperately tried to get out, "I think I might die right this very moment if someone doesn't put me in a freezer immediately!"...okay, it was more like "Hey...I'm hot......really hot.....I feel!"  I think they finally got the point when the nurse couldn't even take my temperature because my head was so freaking wet.  All of a sudden the nurses were flying around me, putting ice packs everywhere; on my head, under my arm pits, behind my neck, under my knees, everywhere!  Then I understood what was wrong with my legs, there were some weird contraptions that were strapped all the way around them that were helping my legs circulate blood so I didn't get clots, and when they took those off that really helped too.  Lastly the throbbing headache...oh it hurt SOOO BAD!!!  So the nurse came in and said I was getting a morphine shot in the rear!  I was like, "What???  No way, put it in my IV!"  She says, "Nope, the doctor thinks it's more effective to just stick in you!"  So I did get another poke, and I think I actually cried a little.  But even after that I kept telling them my head hurt so bad and finally someone noticed that I had this crazy velcro band around my whole head that was holding the bandages over my ear, and that it was on so tight it was practically squeezing my head off!  Once the nurse loosened that, I finally had some relief.

Or so I thought!!!  As soon as all that was over, and I was cooled down and out of extreme pain, the nausea hit me.  So yeah, I got sick a few times and then I finally started to feel better.  I think I slept off and on for another hour or so before I started munching on the saltines and Ginger Ale.  I think I ate about 15 packs of those crackers and boy were they good!

We FINALLY left the hospital around 5 PM so we'd been there for a total of 9 hours!  It usually does not take me that long to get through it but I guess it can be different every time.  Anyway, the doctor seemed to be pleased with my results and said he was able to make more repairs than he thought he was going to be able to do, so I was very grateful for that.

I spent the next day at my parents and Susan helped me get some food and drove me home that night.  I slept and rested a lot the next few days and Kellie and Justin also helped take care of me and visit me and keep my spirits up.  I got lots of phone calls and texts and messages from Mom and Meg and other friends and family, so it was all good.

By Thursday I was feeling much better. So, Thanksgiving was fun and I even went domestic and made a delicious, and may I mention, gorgeous, cherry pie! (I took photos but have left my camera at the folks house since the big day, so I'll post later)  Kellie went home to Elko and was missed dearly.  But I had Justin to keep me company over the weekend and we got to spend quite a lot of time together.  I even did a little Black Friday shopping and had lunch with my lovely friend Leanne who was visiting from Arizona for the weekend.

You can't tell in the photo, but Leanne is 8 months pregnant and adorable!  (She's the one on the right side in the grey cardigan)  She's having a little boy of course, just like the 6 other friends and family members I know who have had or are about to have babies this Fall!  What is up with all the boy babies being born???

Anyway, I've had a lot of time to read, watch TV and movies, and generally relax in the last week or so and thought I'd share some of my latest interests!

1. I love the show on Fox, Glee!  It's so fun and funny and amazing, and I'm so sad it's going away until April.  If you haven't watched it yet, now's your chance to get caught up and watch it on Hulu!

2. Um, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED New Moon!  Sooooo much better than Twilight!  Not that I hated Twilight, I'm definitely a Twihard so you know I'm gonna love all of it. :)  However, I do highly recommend this movie if you haven't seen it.


3. I LOVED the Blind Side!!!  Wow, and even if you're not a sports fan, this is such a GREAT movie!  Old and young alike will treasure this great and inspiring movie of triumph.


4. I read a magazine article in Vanity Fair with excerpts from Pres. Ronald Reagan's Diaries and I think he was such an AMAZING man!!!  Wow, the love he had for our Country, the self-less service he gave, and the amazing, beautiful relationship he had with his lovely wife.  If you're into history at all, this would be a great read for you!  It's funny, personal, informative, inspiring and touching all at once.


OK, so there you have it!  Me lately. :)

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are feeling better. Hospitals are not fun!