Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Politics, some good and bad

Well, I hesitate to even begin a post about this, mainly because I think what I think and I don't really like to have confrontations with others about my views.  I love listening to others' views and to always be learning so that I can make informed decisions, but the part I hate is when a polite discussion turns into an argument and becomes a source of contention and turns people into enemies and produces hate!  I abhor contention! :)

Anyway...so yeah, I'm not going to discuss health care or global warming, but I will share the fact that I went to my first local Caucus meeting tonight and I thought it was so cool!  I love that this close to home, we have the opportunity to choose our own representation and provide a vote for what we believe in and support!  Granted a lot of us there were first timers and we didn't really know what was going on at first, but you gotta start somewhere right?

It's actually kind of interesting to me that I've never been before.  Should I have known about these before?  How would I have known?  My parents never talked to me about the political process when I was growing up, never really discussed my obligation as a United States citizen to participate in such activities.  And me, being as patriotic as I am, how did I just not understand the process?  Well I'm thinking it's just needing more education!  I think the only way I knew about it this time is because the leaders of my Church have been encouraging our Members to get involved in the political process.  Not to promote any candidates or issues, but just to speak our voice.  So, I hope that in the future, I'll be a better public servant for my own community and maybe help spread the word to others about the importance of these meetings.

And the coolest part about tonight?  I got to say the Pledge of Allegiance!  I know, I'm a big nerd, but I can't remember the last time I did, and it almost made me cry!  We may have a lot of troubles, challenges, and problems in this Country, but it's also pretty cool, and its my home.  God bless America!

1 comment:

  1. great post crissy! i'm glad you had such a good time at the caucus.

    ReplyDelete