Wednesday, March 31, 2010

When it rains, it pours

Well, I didn't really feel like posting tonight...I was going to put it off until a few days later when I was feeling "better" about everything that happened today.  But now I'm feeling that maybe I should write it all out in the moment, and it might actually help me or someone else.

If you read my Facebook updates you'll see that I didn't have a great day.  But the weird thing is, none of the bad things today were things that happened to me!  My poor family is just having all kinds of health troubles.  First, my 2 year old nephew Eli had to go the ER because he had an extreme asthma attack, and no one even knew he had asthma.  He even go to ride to the hospital in Salt Lake in an ambulance.

This is a pic of poor little Eli when he was in the midst of the breathing treatments that made him feel awful.  At this point he hadn't slept much in the last 24 hours nor been able to eat or drink anything.  Reports from later in the evening were that he was doing much better, getting to eat solid food and his breathing has greatly improved.  Hopefully he'll get to come home tomorrow. 

Next, my Dad is having knee surgery tomorrow and I'm praying it goes well for him...he's so nervous that he won't be able to run, golf, hike, ski and all the other fun activities that he loves to do.  I really hope the doctors do a good job and give him something great so he won't have so much pain and limitation anymore.  And at the same time, my step-mom is waiting to hear back on tests from a tumor or cyst that she recently had removed during gall bladder surgery, and there is a chance that it's cancerous.  She just went through a brief episode of breast cancer last year.  I am also praying for her, that it's not, and that she doesn't have to go through chemo or any other crappy cancer treatments.  But, if it is, at least she does have crappy cancer treatments that could help her...trying to look on the bright side here!

My sweetie is dealing with an unexpected new challenge as of today as well.  He hasn't talked to his family about it yet, so I don't feel like I should share the news just now, but I think it could possibly be a blessing in disguise.  Only time will tell, but I pray things will work out for him too.  I'm so proud of him and all he's been doing, and I know he'll be able to use this situation and make it as beneficial as possible.

Then, I did have a bit of good news for me.  I happened to be in Salt Lake at the University Hospital at my ear doctor's office having my 2nd post-op, when I heard about Eli being next door at Primary Children's Hospital.  Anyway, he said my hearing in my left ear has improved a little bit!  Granted it's not as much as he was hoping for, but I'll take any improvement I can get, and I'm just glad that he doesn't think I need hearing aides yet.  And I don't have any infection in either so everything looks to be doing pretty good right now, and I don't even have to go back for 6 months!  Yippee!

Lastly, I happen to get a great story from my lovely mission president's wife, Nance, about one of our former missionary's, Nathan Ogden.  He happened to have the terrible luck of breaking his neck skiing about 8 year ago, which left him a paraplegic.  Only a year later, he was in another tragic accident that broke his neck again, which left him a quadriplegic.  This sounds terrible, but not only has he overcome these awful challenges, but he's far surpassed being a victim and become someone of inspiration and motivation.  He's done so much, traveled many places, had 4 children and started his own company during all of this.  Truly amazing!  If you'd like to learn more about him and his story, about the wonderful things he's been able to accomplish with his beautiful wife, check out his blog here.  It'll definitely cheer you up and help you put your own challenges into perspective.

So, just to summarize, things may seem pretty bad right now, but I'm so grateful that they aren't TOO bad!  And my hope is that these trials will only help us all to become stronger, to learn and grow from the experiences.  And just maybe, we can help inspire others too.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry it has been rough! I'm glad to hear about your ears/haring though! That is so great! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sort of things really put life in perspective. Glad your hearing is improving!

    ReplyDelete