Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day

I had a great Memorial Day!

Through the Scouts in my area, we have the privilege of being able to have flags in our yards during the appropriate holidays.  I LOVE it!  I am so patriotic, in case you didn't know!

It was actually warm enough today to lay out in my backyard and work on my tan.  I haven't done a lot of tanning in the past few years, but since I'm going to the beach in about 22 days I need to work on it so I don't fry!

I slept in till 10:30 today!  Woo hoo!  I just love sleeping in and not having to wake up to an alarm clock.  It's one of my most favorite things.

I went for a 5 mile run!  Yeah, I overdid that a little bit since I haven't been running on a regular basis.  I'm kind of disappointed in myself since I was going to do a marathon in June originally.  I'm still aiming to do one at the beginning of September, so wish me luck to keep up my motivation!

I also stopped by the Provo Cemetary just because it was so beautiful with all the people there and the flowers everywhere.  My loved ones are buried mostly in Southern Utah and Nevada, a few around here, but it would be hard to visit them all.  So, since this one was close by I thought I'd visit and look at the beautiful resting places of others loved ones, hoping that someone was doing the same for me elsewhere.  Here's a few of the shots I took.
This last grave I thought was just amazing.  It's lovely how different people choose to honor those who have passed on.  It looks like the man here belongs to a Pacific Islander family and they really did it all up.  I can imagine how sacred it would have been for them to spend the time to do this.  Even though it may be a little over the top, I think if it helps people grieve and continue to show their love, then more power to them.

Lastly, I got Justin to take a little break from doing homework to make him some dinner.  We are pretty adventurous when it comes to food and tonight was no different!  What was simply going to be "spaghetti night" turned into gourmet "shrimp and scallop white sauce over linguine" night!  We also made some garlic bread and a simple salad with field greens, tomatoes, and cucumbers.  Here's the finished product!

Here's what we did for the sauce:
4 table spoons olive oil
2 table spoons real butter
1/2 pound frozen cooked shrimp (tail off) and scallops
     I then browned the shrimp and scallops in the butter, olive oil mixture till they had given off plenty of juices and were slightly browned. Set seafood aside.

I then added about 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes and onions into the same pan, and added a bit more olive oil and butter.  Also added some Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.  Sauted for 5 minutes or so.  Added in about 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, and 1 can clam sauce.  Continued cooking on medium heat and condencing liquid down.  I then started adding in some half and half, about 1/4 cup, mixed, condenced and added another 1/4 cup.  Continued cooking for another 3-4 minutes till sauce started beginning to thicken.  Added the shrimp and scallops back in and cooked an additional 4 minutes while adding 1 tablespoon of flour and mixing in to finish the thickening process.  Voila! 

We added a little bit more salt and pepper at the end and just scooped the sauce over our plates of pasta.  I tasted AMAZING!!  Just a little something different than the traditional red sauce.  Try it!

1 comment:

  1. That food looks great--I'll have to try making that one of these days. That picture of the flag makes me miss the neighborhood and the great roomies I had. :) Hope you're doing well. (Way to go on the 5 mile run!!)

    ReplyDelete