Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Defeated and Super 8

Could it get any worse?  I'm not talking about my sister's birthday, which was actually really fun...(love you Kellie!) 

But, as if my life couldn't get any worse right now...someone just had to come along and tear me up some more today?  I seriously wonder if people are really as crazy as they appear to be?  Does everyone really think the world revolves around them?  I kind of think so...and they keep proving that to me over and over.  I don't even know how to deal any more...



So, now for my escapism into movies.  Kellie and I saw Super 8 tonight and it was better than I expected, but not as great as I'd hoped.  Someone earlier today described it as sort of like "Goonies" or "Stand By Me", and I'd have to agree!  It has some great character development that I think most movies lack these days, which seemed to connect you to them more.  They really started out by taking the time to "share the details" and "slow it down", but in a good way.  There were some fun scares and unexpected twists, and you spend a lot of the movie trying to comprehend the underlying stories that they don't come out and tell you until later.  But...I hate to say it, I think it could have been better in the end.  The build-up was great, and the connections were all there, but I think JJ and Steven just didn't quite "get there" in terms of crowning point or the highlight of the movie, to create a real connective emotion inside the viewer with the climax of the film.  It could have been so good!!  I'm pretty sure I cried at least the first time I saw both those movies I mentioned above, but not once did even a single tear spring to my already faucet-ready eyes tonight.  Not that I want to cry in movies mind you, but I guess that's the way I know I've really been "touched" by the story, the characters, the acting, or the meaning of it all.  But, overall I would say this was a good film, a lot better than all of the trash that's out there these days.  And, I really loved Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney, great actors!  I still give it 3 1/2 stars, and it's a "go-see" during first run.

2 comments:

  1. I would have liked it a whole lot better if the monster had been big foot!

    I think the monster ruined it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, sounds like we need to go to lunch again! Next week won't work, but how about after the 4th of July sometime? And by the way, I really love your blog background

    ReplyDelete